The beginning of the Inn, which pampered their guests with homemade dishes, dates way back to the year 1854 when Karel and Marija Vičič opened the doors of their Inn for the first time. Prior to that, they were in the saddlery business, hence the Inn’s name "Pri Sotlarjevih – At Sotlar’s" (ger. Sattler – eng. saddler). At that time, Podgrad was the center of political and administrative life, so the state officials would gather in the Inn on a daily basis. At the end of the 19th century, the national consciousness began strengthening among Slovenes; the most educated among them did a great deal for the people, each in their own field.
On their own initiative, the Inn collected contributions for the Prešeren Monument, which was unveiled on September 10th, 1905 in Ljubljana. During the Italian occupation, the owners lost their catering operating license due to their patriotic activities. They made a living by renting out rooms to people passing through the area. In 1968, the owner’s son Srečko and grandson Jadran Vičič reopened the Inn, and in 1981 it was taken over by Jadran’s son, Karlo, who with his wife Denia, still nurtures and continues the family tradition. The Inn was gradually renovated (most of the works were done in 2017), but the owners are constantly trying to preserve the tradition and the local character.
We offer carefully prepared home-made local dishes, in addition to other international delicacies, since many of our guests are foreigners. We still cook by our traditional recipes (like our granny in 1854), as they were carefully preserved and passed down from generation to generation. We offer dishes on request, we prepare business lunches and dinners for larger groups, the offered dishes vary according to season and wishes of our guests.
Cured meat products and cheeses
Homemade pasta and gnocchi